Saturday, January 12, 2008

Early thaw?! Geez, I hope not! I mean, how am I supposed to winter sow if there's no winter?!
Now, I know this is January in Wisconsin, but this thaw nonsense is much more "Indiana-esque"....
.....deer sure are rather "universal" though, regardless the season...
....but snowmobiles are very Wisconsin and they most certainly are reckless enough to ride them on the percariously iced river! These tracks were made just the day before this picture was taken, and look how thin this is! I'm sorry, sleds are fun and all, but there is no reason whatsoever to put your dumb-ass self in a position to lose your life over it! I mean, what about the damn cost/benefit ratio here people?! (Sorry...I get so fired up about this because a dear old friend of mine and his buddy died going through the ice on lake Michigan, sledding from Marinette to Door County in April. His foolishness left a ridiculous wake of destruction, especially for his two young children and sister...senseless.) Anyway...
.....speaking of shit, here's a bunny poo smiley face!
And another one! Those crazy wabbits!
Uh-oh! What happened here? My late-season, "round-tuit"-losing self allowed the washtub water garden to freeze solid, plants and all! D'oh!
But look at the green! This is corkscrew rush...is it alive, or "freeze dried"?
Yellow flag, too...and this looks like new growth for sure.
And mullein...I like the wooly leaves, they look kinda cute next to the snow... like a fuzzy scarf or something...
...and my previously installed "cheap insurance" needs some work!
There! I don't mind the exercise, and the cold air feels good to me (which is of course why I moved here in the first place :) ... ...looks like somebody else has been wandering around, and I'm pretty sure it's a possum. I try to tolerate them, because they can be a really okay creature to have around, despite some freaky and hard to get around looks. The one in my yard, however, seems to feel that being under my river-side deck is okay. Well it isn't, and he needs convincing, so stay tuned. Some of my ornaments are re-appearing too....
.....say what?

More of the "winter interest" (a.k.a. sloppy cleanup to some folks) is still standing...
...I like this echinacea seed head in particular.
And the droopy Mountain ash fruits...
...heh, and speaking of "ash", look what we have here.... ....columbine growing out of the bottom of the ash bucket in this little micro-climate. Unwise move, foolish plant!
Naturally, the thaw is producing plenty of fog, which makes for a most charming commute to work...
...and makes this abandoned farm look even more spooky than usual........oh yea! Funny how "de-construction" and decay are every bit as fascinating as building and design, IMO. But then, as the weekend approached, we got a welcomed winter "reeee-miiix"!!!
Yeehaaa! Just as my road began to "get it's spring on", maybe I'll luck out and this will all be a bad global warming dream!

Snow for the football playoffs! Go Pack go! (Yea, I am an established Colts fan, but I also root for the Packers, and the Bears...I just like hot beefcake in tight pants! Well, combined with mad athletic skills, of course...sue me! ;-)

13 comments:

Marvin said...

Let it snow.
Let it snow.
Let it snow.
On Lisa.

lisa said...

Hell yea....I ain't scared! ;-)

Carol Michel said...

Indiana-esque? I like that. We are getting a nice "wintry mix" right now in central Indiana, some rain just changed to snow and it is going to get colder. No one here has a snowmobile, unless they moved here from up north and brought it with them.

And I didn't know you were a COLTS fan! Go, Colts!

Carol, May Dreams Gardens

Linda said...

We have had the January thaw as well, and the garden went from being covered in several cm. of snow to bare and brown.
Mother Nature seems to do okay with her winter sowing through changeable times, so I' hoping your winter sowing will turn out just fine.

Anonymous said...

Love the pic of the old house framed by the two evergreens. That's a great shot. It would look nice framed. I love misty/foggy scenes like that.

Phillip Oliver said...

We have snow in the forecast for this coming Thursday. I'll believe it when I see it.

Yolanda Elizabet Heuzen said...

It still looks very much like winter to me, regardless of the thaw. Here we very seldom have snow.

Love the pics of the abandonned farm house, very spooky. Have you seen the movie The Fog? ;-)

lisa said...

Carol-Yea, disappointing play over the weekend, but I still love the Colts.

Crafty-I trust mother nature implicitly! My wishes came true all weekend-8" of new snow! Yay!

Vonne-This old place gets my attention every time I drive by...I can't help but wonder how it came to be abandoned, and what's left inside. Too chicken to tresspass, though!

Phillip-I have plenty now if you need some! ;-)

Yolanda-I haven't ever seen "The Fog", but it sounds familiar now that you mention it. Think I'll rent it!

Barbee' said...

Lisa, you are a whiz with that camera as well as in the garden! I love visiting here!

lisa said...

Thank you Barbee! Feel free to visit often!

Connie said...

We have had snow and melt, snow and melt, all winter and are currently in the melt stage.
Love the old farmhouse! I can just picture some old fashioned hollyhocks growing around it, in earlier days.

chuck b. said...

"You're snowmobiling on thin ice, buddy!" is that the expression in WI? Very scary. I wouldn't do it. How do you know when it's finally okay?

lisa said...

Connie-Absolutely hollyhocks! I'm amazed that the place became abandoned at all, it seems so "nurtured" in a previous life.

Chuck-Ice thickness is largely calculated by number of days below zero, snow cover and the like. Personally I would never even WALK on ice that has a steady current running underneath, let alone run a snow mobile. People don't always judge these things appropriately though...for me, the possible tragic outcome just isn't worth any "fun" to be had (especially when there are plenty of small inland lakes freezing up very reliably). That whole cost/benefit ratio thing.