Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Bloggers are cool people! And "lurkers" aren't bad, either! This is my "Bloom Day" post...no blooms, but a "blooming friendship" instead! Awhile back, my favorite lurker/commenter, Vonne, and I exchanged some plant starts and seeds. When I got the box, I was amazed at the size and quantity!I mean, this is better stuff than I pay for most of the time!And look at this! Holy cultural info, Batman!So I potted them up, taking a "multi-disciplinary" approach to rooting the cuttings.... .....some cuttings I put in soil that can dry out between waterings.......and these in an "african violet" pot with capillary action for even moisture.........and one of these in a violet pot, too (along with what's left of my african violet casualty from last summer )....*sigh*..........and finally, some are rooting in just water. Honestly, I have as much luck rooting christmas cactus this way as any other. I figured sucess would be more likely if I tried more than one method though, and I'm always up for a new expiriment! This is "blue mistflower", it was a bag of roots that I just tossed in here and covered with dirt...
....and they're sprouting! Cool!
These muscari probably feel weird growing indoors in winter, but I think they'll get over it...

...these bulbs don't care though, as Vonne says they grow in winter and bloom in summer. I need deeper pots for them, but this will do for now.... ....one is "blood lily", and I forget the other (sorry Vonne, I'm at work right now and my memory's not what it used to be, y'know? ;-) ....
....anyway, here are the plants I sent her. Goody! Growth happening all the way around, looks like a sucessful exchange! Yet another awesome benefit of blogging: cool people!
Happy Bloom Day everybody!



12 comments:

Unknown said...

WOW! How cool that you two could exchange such lovely houseplants. I'm rooting for your new cuttings. (Pun intended!) lol.

Anonymous said...

Wow! Everything is jamming! They found a good home, as I knew they would. The bulb that you couldn't recall the name of is - Lycoris Radiata or red Spider Lily.
Everything looks fabulous! I'm really happy with my xmas cacti too! You also sent milkweed and aster seeds. I sowed half of them directly in the meadow shortly after receiving them. This week I plan on sowing the rest in pots, just in case.
Btw, I was a Lurker for so long because I didn't really know HOW to comment...I was a virgin blog reader. heh

lisa said...

Kim-Heh...I'm "rooting" too! :)

Vonne-Spider lily! I'm glad we're both enjoying sucess...now if we can get you blogging...;-) !

Annie in Austin said...

One of the aims of Blooming Day seems to be to get the readers to say Awwww... and Wow!!

You sure succeeded with this post, Lisa!

Annie at the Transplantable Rose

growingagardenindavis said...

Nice! Let us know which method worked best for the Christmas cactus!

Carol Michel said...

What a wonderful way to celebrate "bloom day" in January. Happy Bloom Day to you, too!

Carol, May Dreams Gardens

Marvin said...

Just like another Christmas! Jingle your Spider Lily.

lisa said...

Annie-Thank you!

Leslie-Sure thing! I already know that rooting them in water works quite well...as long as it's not too deep.

Carol-Thanks! And thank you for getting the ball rolling!

Marvin-Ho, ho, ho!

Anonymous said...

What a collection...
Would like to send you some of my seeds I collected last fall..
But with Homeland Security at the US - Canada border better not..
cheers Gisela

lisa said...

Thank you for the sentiment, Gisela! I agree though...things are a tad too tense for all that.

chuck b. said...

you're living in a greenhouse now!

lisa said...

Heh, after a "drinking and shopping" session on Ebay last night, it's gettin' even greener in here! Stay tuned! :)