Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Big bluestem for Blackswamp Girl...awhile back, I'd left a comment regarding Little Bluestem Grass on Kim's blog, stating that I have Big Bluestem but not the little one. She remarked that she may not have room for Big Bluestem, and how big is it, anyway? Finally, I am posting my size estimation for Kim...better late than never! This is my friend, let's call her "Smiley", standing next to my Big Bluestem. Smiley is about 5'4", and as you can see, Big Bluestem is taller than her by quite a bit. I would estimate it at 6 feet tall or so. But there's more to size than height.... ...girth factors in, too. (Yes, I'm smirking ;-) Anyway, you can see what a nice vase-shaped clump that Big Bluestem makes. While it may be a tall grass, I think its more slender width gives gardeners with small beds more options. Besides, it's a nice native grass, and considered to be "ecologically important".


Now I need to go buy some Little Bluestem to complete the set! Kim, I hope this helped!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Perfect, Lisa! Girth is definitely important (*grin*) so I'm glad you showed that, too. The grass does have a nice vase shape to it. Might be too big for my little yard, but at least I know what I'm missing!

(btw, I got my bluestem as 3-packs from Bluestone, FYI)

lisa said...

Three-packs?! Cool...