Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Late summer project...here's a confession for you: I still have seedlings and spring-purchased plants to get into the ground! *whew* Now that I said it out loud, the healing can begin...
First, we start with this poor honeysuckle vine from last year that I forgot about, which is now surrounded by weeds... ...next, our seedlings: 'White Pearl' everlasting pea, love-in-a-puff vine, a tiny morning glory, and eastern anglepod vine.
Poor things are tiny yet, but alive so that's something!
Here's the trellis that started all this...mid-season impulse buy through the mail from "The Lakeside Collection", a sort-of knockoff from the "LTD Commodities" catalogs that circulate around various workplaces. Anyhow, it was cheap (like $7), so I had to order it! ;-)


Now I get to watch and hope they have enough season left to grow in.....fingers crossed!

9 comments:

Laurie and Chris said...

I would think that you would have enough time to at least get some good roots going. I love The Lakeside Collection. I have gotten alot out of there books.

lisa said...

Thanks for the reassurance! I'd always heard that roots grow right up until the ground actually freezes, so I should have ample time....still makes me nervous, though. (I'm a spaz that way ;-) Between LTD and Lakeside Collection, I'm kept stocked with trellises and resin decorations of all kinds. I just love the prices, especially when I see an item costing twice as much elsewhere! When I was younger, I thought it was cool to spend big bucks on designer clothes, purses, even sunglasses....I'm sooo over that now!

Annie in Austin said...

I used to do the same kind of thing in IL, Lisa - one year the snapdragons were still blooming at Thanksgiving so there was plenty of time. Another year we had snow for Halloween while the leaves were not turned. Maybe you'll get lucky and your small plants can be established before the ground freezes.

Annie at the Transplantable Rose

nonizamboni said...

Confession is good for the soul. . .and makes the rest of us feel not so dorky.
Love the trellis.
Great blog!

Zut Alors said...

you live in such a nice area! looks like lots of rain. Plus you have a forest near you. I am envious! I love your pictures.

lisa said...

Annie-I hope you're right...I still need to plant my musa basjoo (hardy banana), and I think that may be my biggest survival challenge! Heh..."Garden Survivor Wisconsin"...

Nonizamboni-Thanks for visiting my blog! I try to be honest, even when it hurts.

Funtime..-Thank you! I really love this area, the weather, wildlife, people, all of it!

Ki said...

Oh man, we're going to send you to the woodshed for plant neglect. ;-) Actually fall is the best time to plant. Less direct sun and cooler temps equal less plant stress (if it ever gets cooler) and better root development. I just transplanted some tiny anemones and columbines I grew from seed that were even smaller than your plants.

chuck b. said...

I like the $7 trellis with the bells! I would have bought that too. :)

lisa said...

Ki-Thanks for that, I feel better! Usually I try not to plant in fall, cuz' our winters are so cold. I don't mind transplanting things that are already used to this climate, but newcomers make me nervous.

Chuck-Heh...I'm a sucker for yard art, trellises in particular! Oh, and the bells actually ring!