Thursday, May 03, 2007

Weekend visitor...so I'm working in the yard last weekend, and I heard something hit the ground as I walked past my oak tree. I look up to see Mr. Porcupine here...
...I've never seen one in my yard before. It was very windy, and he seemed to have no fun trying to hang on. I watched him for awhile, and then noticed he's on the move... ....here he comes...
...Wow! He's a lot bigger than he looked when he was higher in the tree! I try to keep a fair distance, even though he's moving slowly and I know they don't really shoot quills.......here he voices his displeasure at my "paparazzi" behavior....
....okay then, time to stop harassing the wildlife and get back to work. Bye-bye!

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Holy crap! I can't believe you didn't get... spined! He doesn't look happy with you at all, but I'm glad that you got such cool pictures. :)

Ki said...

Wow, great photos. Did it give you a hissing body shaking act? We had a hedgehog a long time ago and it hissed and rattled it's spines when he was angry which was most of the time. Not a nice pet at all. Don't know if they are related.

Entangled said...

Neat pictures! How close to him were you when you took those? Except for bugs, my critter pictures always come out blurry and unfocused.

Anonymous said...

Oh Oh Oh
O u c h !

Gloria said...

Just checked your profile to see where you live. Wisconsin gardeners get such great wildlife. I like the pictures, what a cute face even if a little peeved.

lisa said...

Kim-me too!

Ki-no hissing, just a kind of nasal grunting. Not sure if porkys are related to hedgehogs, but they sure look similar.

entangled-I was about 5' away, and my 12x optical zoom took me the rest of the way. I took about 15 pics to get these few...hooray for digital cuz' they're free! A lot of my pics come out blurry, too-I think it's excitement causing shaky camera.

Becky-thanks for stopping by! Ouch is right-you should see how these spines stick in your tires if you hit one on the road!

Gloria-thanks for stopping by, too! The wildlife is definately the main reason I love living up here for sure!

Anonymous said...

by the way,
Today is World Naked Gardening Day!
Take a photo of yourself!

chuck b. said...

Another fine addition to the specialness of your spring...

So did you run to get the camera, or do keep it with you while you garden?

lisa said...

Becky-um...no way, no how! :) Nobody wants to see that "flesh parade"!

Chuck-Oh yea, camera's always in my pocket, at the ready! :)