Saturday, June 26, 2010

Worm Bin Update

I haven't posted about this in awhile! My worm bin is nearly ready to remove castings from the bottom bin, and place it atop this one for a wormy migration.
Naturally my pal Gizmo has to check things out...

....I'm seeing lots of worms wandering up the sides, too. After digging around, it appears that my population has exploded! I'll need to either make another bin, help a friend make a bin, or sell them as "fishing worms"! Yikes!

Well, all those wormies need to eat, so I dropped in some scraps and coffee grounds...
....until next time! (By the way, I regularly inpect the bin, add bedding and feed the worms-despite my last post being over a year ago :)

5 comments:

meemsnyc said...

Worm bin is definitely looking good! Good compost for the garden!

Monica the Garden Faerie said...

Hi Lisa, Vermicomposting is one of those things I think is cool but will prolly never do. I also love all the different words we have for poo (like castings, lol). And, finally, I find that cats are excellent garden inspectors. :)

lisa said...

Meemsnyc-Thanks! My plants seem to enjoy it for sure! :)

Monica-I know how that can be. It surprised me how easy it is to keep worms, though (BTW-don't forget "guano" and "scat" :) Yea, Gizmo would really like to be even MORE involved in the garden, especially when the chipmunks are running around! =^^=

Anonymous said...

Can you put your excess worms out into the garden? Just wondering.
Those castings look GOOD, no matter what you call them! :)
v.

lisa said...

Y'know, I've turned them loose before, but it's my understanding that they aren't winter-hardy in this climate. Though I must admit, I'd rather freeze to death than be a fishing worm, y'know? So I may just set some of them free after all :)