Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Miscellaneous Veggies 2009

Okay, one more 2009 garden review and then back to real-time blogging. This is a tall vining tomato, 'Tomatoberry'......the fruit is a nice, large-ish cherry. Rather firm and hollow though, so I'd use it as a stuffer for Hors d'Ĺ“uvres. Good taste despite last season's very un-tomato like weather.


This small, manageable vine is spaghetti squash 'Small Wonder'.....

.....the fruits are single serving size and quite delicious!Speaking of fruit, my raspberries did well last year (even though I had to share a couple :)Despite having the appearance of a green bean, this is actually a "soup bean"... ....'Papa De Rola', an heirloom from Portugal. I only got a couple pods, but they were pretty!

This was my most successful tomato, 'Matt's Wild Cherry'. I grew it in three hanging baskets......and boy did the plants deliver! The fruits were held upside down on the plant which looked kinda funny, but the taste was amazing. True to the name, the "wild" seeds came from "...Hidalgo in Eastern Mexico. It's the region of domestication of tomatoes, and where these grow wild" per the catalog. They sure grew and fruited like some sort of weed, which really eased my cold season pain when the other tomatoes all pouted.

My leek experiment was nothing short of hilarious. I tried the seeds in a very tall enamel planter, believing that if it were deep enough they would grow alright. Well I'm here to tell you that leeks are not carrots, but they sure need to be thinned well and planted properly (a.k.a. in the ground). But if you want to wait all summer for chive-sized results...then this is how it's done :)

This unusual-looking flower belongs to a fava bean, 'Broad Windsor'... ...my weird season yielded one lonesome pod (of course deer chomping the plants halfway through the growing period didn't help either). I'm pretty sure I let the pod get too full...
....and the contents look buggy as well. No worries, there's no waste around here since either the worm bin or composter get to "enjoy" the duds.
Now on to the current season. Ready....set...GROW! ;-)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now you've got me craving tomatoes.

Did you make a big old pot of leek soup with all them leeks?
hardy har har
v.

lisa said...

Hardy har indeed! :) Actually I added the leeks to scrambled eggs and they were quite tasty for being so teeny.

Monica the Garden Faerie said...

You remind me of several catch-up posts I still need to do... love the tomatoes in the hanging basket. And I always forget I like spaghetti squash. Should grow it!

lisa said...

This particular spaghetti squash doesn't take up much room, either.

Sylvana said...

Try over-wintering your leeks. I had great success with that in my garden - although you are in one lower zone than me. It took two years to get usable leeks, but they have multiplied and I don't have to add seed anymore :)

lisa said...

That's a GREAT idea! Thank you!