Friday, April 17, 2009

Fuzzy...

....wuzzy...
....was a .... ....bear! I was driving home from work last week, and saw a car pulled off the side of the road with people standing next to it. As I slowed to see what was going on, I realized they were watching this very large bruin about 100 yards away. As you can see from this last picture, he was watching them, too.
I wish my little cameras' zoom could have been better, but it was cool enough to finally have photographic evidence of the bears I've seen up here. For some reason, every single year since moving to Wisconsin I've been lucky enough to spot a bear. Usually they are just dashing across the road, one time I had to slam on the brakes to avoid a collision. (Although I did have a more personal experience with a bear I never actually saw.) It seems that the big ones like this are more casual, just sauntering along like they own the place. (As far as I'm concerned he does.) Submitted to Friday Ark.

10 comments:

Monica the Garden Faerie said...

Wow, that's really cool you can see bears, and that distance is just about right! ;-)

troutbirder said...

Yikes. That wuz a big bear.

Anonymous said...

Ooooooh....papa bear?
v.

lisa said...

Monica-Good point, these guys can run about 35mph!

Troutbirder-RIGHT?! I really enjoy them, but not right outside my window or anything.

V-I'm guessing it was a papa from the size, though I did check all my pictures carefully for a cub or two. Didn't see any, but I'd imagine they'd be rather small and maybe still hanging around the dens this time of year.

wiseacre said...

Keep your good camera with you! Still I'd be thrilled to get any photo of a bear. Now where did I leave that picnic basket?

lisa said...

Oh yea, I carry that camera wherever I go! Heh, I bet Yogi knows where that pic-a-nic basket is! :)

chuck b. said...

LOL @Monica!

Yeah, we don't have that kind of bear in San Francisco. It sure would make things more interesting if we did tho'...

lisa said...

Heh, I can't even imagine the kind of excitement a black bear in SanFran would cause! You should see the heavy-duty dumpsters they have behind the restaurants in bear country...with locks!

Pam/Digging said...

That's a good capture, even without a big zoom lens! You can see it's a bear, all right. Do these guys ever get into trouble in your area and have to be relocated?

lisa said...

Thanks Pam! Once in awhile I've heard about a bear in town somewhere that has to be relocated, but not too often. They seem to know where they belong. :)