Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Wintersowing? Why not? Three weekends ago it was still winter up here, so I figure there's enough cold weather left to do the job. So on April 6th I got this project underway. Plus, in looking back at last years' wintersow project, I'd begun only 3 days sooner! First, organizing seeds (which is always a project in itself!).......this plastic container looks like a decent winter-sow shelter.......it came with grapes, and if it works well I'll use it next year.Several of these "jiffy" discs fit into it. I used a combination of types........regular peat pellets.......and coir pellets made from coconut husks. In my experience, the coir holds moisture a bit better, but allows seedlings some air so they don't rot or experience "damping off".It's environmentally friendly, too (if you're into that sort of thing ;-) Anyhow, I have a lot of seeds, and I need another container......so I'll make one! This should work okay, the sticks will support the "tent"......punch a few holes for ventilation, and while the discs are soaking and plumping up time to select the seeds... ....this sounds interesting, but when I look at the current catalog for germination info, it's not there! More searching......yay, I found the old catalog I ordered from. To prevent future confusion, I cut out the description and taped it to the seed packet (I highly recommend this!).......seeds from my blogger-buddy Chuck. I said it before, but thank you again for these!Another gift from a fellow garden blogging pal, Hank...thank you also! I can't wait to see these beauties grow! This is purple hyacinth bean vine by the way.Also from a blogger friend and associate, Vonne, who's a "lurker" (reader but not blogger)...these are datura seeds (thank you again, also! :).......and this columbine really caught my eye in an expensive catalog (I forget which one, it wasn't Burpee), it's 'Blackcurrant Ice'. Ever the bargain hunter, I found seeds online at Seedman.com. I've always had good luck growing columbine, so why buy a plant?These seeds are funky looking, like little shells (as the name suggests)... ...there! I don't have the list with me right now, but there were several more varieties planted...
....I'll put the open end of the tent facing the foundation of the house...
....and presto! More winter weather (this was the day after I put them out three weeks ago)...
...and after a peek three days ago-success already! Sprouting are: 'Apricot Beauty' Foxglove, 'Highlander' Ornamental Millet, and 'Rainbow Lovliness' Fringed Pink. Since our temps have still ducked below freezing here and there, I bet more germination is forthcoming. Hooray!



9 comments:

chuck b. said...

My handwriting...looks like that of a psychotic nine-year-old. Which is what I am. Expect every single one of those digitalis seeds to germinate.

Those Cocculus carolinus seeds (what a name) look more like the worms that ate the seed.

Columbia manzanita--Never heard of it! Good luck! Manzanita seeds can be hard, tho' I've had success with most everything I've ever ordered from JL Hudson.

lisa said...

No wonder I like you! I'm still extremely juvenile and "mental" myself. :) Heh...worms...definately. I've been very happy with the J.L. Hudson seeds, too. All the seed from them that I wintersowed last year germinated extremely well, so I have every confidence in this year's project.

Aunt Debbi/kurts mom said...

Hey Lisa, what a bunch of great ideas. I really need to use the literal cut amd paste lable idea. Thenk I will know what my seedlings are. Turns our we have a common friend in Vonne. She is doing some cool stuff with black land native plants, but you probably know that.

Deb.

Phillip Oliver said...

Hi Lisa, has spring arrived yet in your neck of the woods? I sure hope so. Nice collection of seeds. You will love the hyacinth bean vine. It is a favorite of mine.

lisa said...

Deb-Yea, it helps me to keep organized if I keep all the info in one spot like that. Vonne has so many cool projects going on! I sent her some seeds from up here that should do okay, asters mostly.

Phillip-Well spring is TRYING to show itself, but we had nighttime temps in the 20's for the past few days. :( Only minor leaf damage to my new hostas, everything else seems okay. Glad to hear about the hyacinth bean vine, I'm looking forward to turning it loose! :)

Unknown said...

Nighttime temps in the 20's yet? Sheesh! That's just amazing... I'm walking around here in bare feet. :)
(Sorry. I'm just so happy about that I can't seem to stop myself from sharing it. But on the flipside, I never did get my winter sowing done--and unlike you, I couldn't start in April!)

lisa said...

Kim-Hey, I say enjoy your warm temps with gusto (I sure will when I can :) heh..."amazing " isn't the word I think of, but it kinda is. Ah well, the damage has been minimal so far, and temps are slowly coming back up.

Zut Alors said...

you're my hero! plants and cats!

lisa said...

Thank you zut! :)