Saturday, November 17, 2007

Eleventh hour planting...hey, it's not over til' the ground freezes, right? So I plopped some plants around this old corn sheller that I've designated as a permanent (until it rots fully) next-to-garage hardscape piece. So "Double Yellow" hollyhock goes here... ....then a heuchera and some common mullein in front of these pots. Notice the spanish lavender, still alive after several killing frosts! I had never grown any lavender before, but you can bet your bottom dollar I'll do so every year from now on! So fragrant and fun, I broke off a piece to sniff and appreciate nearly daily all year...ahhh...lovely!

Put my straggling hellebores out, too....amazingly still green! I'm excited to see these bloom, as they are from a mix purchased in spring, so I have no idea about flower color. I just love surprises!
Got the rest of the ice plants in the ground near these two red hot pokers and red-flowering yucca...mulched with rocks again to hold heat and prevent rot.
A relocated Chinese lacebark elm, "Golden Queen" trollius, and a pink lupine over here...
.....and that's pretty much it. Any other "refugees" will be placed next to the house on the eastern side between the house and garage to enjoy wind protection and some radiant heat from the foundation as over-wintering assistance. Until spring.....



10 comments:

Ki said...

Hey Lisa,
"It ain't over 'til it's over". Boy, are you a die hard gardener. I must say that all those enticing catalogs I've been receiving recently almost makes me want to order more plants right now! I just got an ink jet printed special catalog from Naylor Creek, I guess because I bought a bunch of Epimediums from them last year. Must have taken them a long time to print all those pages. The catalog listed about a hundred kinds of Hosta, some really unusual and rare, many kinds of Jack in the pulpits and of course Epimediums. I'm sorely tempted but....
Can't wait to see those flowers in spring.

David (Snappy) said...

Hi Lisa,It will be interesting to see which of those plants survive the big freeze.I love your passion plant untill the grounds frozen!

lisa said...

Ki-I just can't quit yet...it was so hot all summer, and this cold weather gets me moving! (Heh, guess I live in the right climate, huh? :) Ah Naylor Creek...I have ordered from them before from one of those lovely catalogs...hosta "Hanky Panky" to be precise. It was very nice, and I actually got 3 crowns for the price of one! I almost bought epimediums from them but found the ones I wanted cheaper at Busse Gardens. I will be placing a very large hosta order from Naylor Creek in the spring...*sigh* such a delightful sickness this gardening bug inflicts!

Snappy-Thank you! I just cannot help myself!

Anonymous said...

Yes Lisa,
you can plant until the soil freezes. Just add some water, bone meal for the roots and mulch with leaves or other compost up to 5" for winter protection.
Now you can hope and pray until next spring:-))
cheers Gisela

Unknown said...

Sweet! I'm not the last one! Oh wait, nevermind, I still have some hens n chicks left in pots somewhere... darn it. lol.

By the way, if that "Spanish lavender" is the kind that has the two little wings at the top of each bloom (I'm too lazy to look up whether I'm thinking of the right plant, sorry) then it's not going to be hardy for you. Because it's sadly not hardy for me. But you can try to overwinter it inside--I have decent luck with that if I keep them by cool, sunny windows and don't overwater them.

lisa said...

Gisela-Hope and pray I will!

Kim-Yes, the Spanish lavender IS the one with the wings atop the bloom...great idea to take it in! I hope I'm not too late already! Oh, and you're NOT the "last one" yet...I still have more! :)

Glickster-Thanks for the link!

Connie said...

Good job on your late plantings! I have some perennials I winter sowed last year still in their nursery pots. I may yet get some of them into my flower beds, and leave the rest to overwinter in the greenhouse.

Priscilla George said...

I can't wait to see your hellebores bloom! I have always admired them when I go online plant searching. I have yet to try so many things but reading everyones posts makes me want to try it all now. I need to try lavender. When I pass buy them at the garden center I always pick them up with intentions to buy but decided to leave it for a later day. Same with heuchera. I get so excited to see the result of these plants in spring

lisa said...

I'm looking forward to the hellebores, too....I've never grown these before. I know what you mean about blogger inspiring new plant trials...I get so excited to try everything I see on other blogs, I'm finally coming around to more seed acquisitions so I don't go broke! ;-)

lisa said...

Thank you! I like the green ones...I will absolutely check out the link!