Thursday, April 05, 2007

Northern Lights Master Gardener's Spring Garden Conference is what I attended last weekend to help "feed my gardening frankenstein" until the weather improves. It was a real nice day, and I got to make a copper trellis, plus I won a door prize-the green squares in the photo, which are liners for a pot to prevent soil loss and improve drainage. (Sorry about the ugly background, I was testing out a location for the trellis, and I'm going to put a big washtub over the old chimney brick and plant it up). The conference had classes too...I learned about making a retaining wall, creating paths and walkways, and xeriscaping with succulents in a northern climate. We actually have an arboretum with demonstration gardens up here too...I'm determined to become more involved with their group and maybe make new garden friends. It's tough though, since I'm so busy with my own garden when their activities are going on...and I'm kind of a loner in my free time because I work with people all day in my profession. So we'll see...check out their link for pics and info...the arboretum gardens would be a nice visit if you're ever up this way. (There are lots of waterfalls in Marinette county too!)

3 comments:

Unknown said...

How fun! Like you, I'm a loner in my free time (unless I'm playing in one of my volleyball leagues, which feeds my competition frankenstein--to blatently steal your phrase.) I'm loving that copper trellis. Was it hard? And did you use a glue/two-part epoxy or did you actually solder it? (I SO want to learn how to solder AND weld!)

lisa said...

The trellis wasn't hard at all, and we did actually solder it. I felt cool and all "DIY" with the blow torch...need good ventilation from the fumes, though (esp. with my asthma), but I really enjoyed the project. They had other items on display too...little copper bugs, a big arbor (sold for $120), and copper cattails...I see a new "winter project" coming...;)

Unknown said...

Blow torch... I so need a blowtorch. :D And copper cattails--we might be working on the same "winter project" this year!