Monday, March 12, 2007

Worm chow! Come and get it! Finally mixed up my version of a "worm fattening mix" to plump up my wormies for the upcoming fishing season. There are various recipies for supplemental worm food (aside from the usual scraps), this link has an example http://www.wormswrangler.com/Art17.htm . Since I'm innovative/stubborn, I made my own mix: 1/2 cup powdered milk, 1/2 cup crushed egg shells (prev. rinsed and dried), 1/2 cup corn meal, 1/2 cup wheat germ, 1/2 cup wheat flour, and 2 1/2 cups chicken feed. I wanted granular feed rather than pelleted, but the only granular feed that the store had was for baby chicks, and it contained some sort of "medicine" also. So I mixed all this stuff, sprinked a moderate layer over the dry, shredded paper from last time, sprinkled moistened coir and spagnum moss over that, and sprayed it all with about 12 oz. water from the power sprayer. I'm told from the worm forums http://www.wormdigest.org/ that this fattening mix can sometimes generate excess heat, so I'll check the status in a day or so. So enjoy your meal wormies, and don't forget to tip your waitress!



No comments: