Monday, March 26, 2007

All good things must come to an end...I'm afraid it's time to shut down the tabletop oyster mushroom farm. My encouraging show of growth the other day has taken a fairly yucky turn. Open up to see what's going on...the water's yucky...the bag's all furry and beginning to fall apart. No more gnats, but it looks like there won't be any more mushrooms, either. In fact, it appears I now have something akin to an indoor swamp! Fabulous! Oh well, it's off to the composter with you!




First a layer of leaves...then the mushroom farm contents...a layer of snow....bye bye!

3 comments:

Annie in Austin said...

Lisa, I like mushrooms, but these photos might put me off them for awhile;) Maybe it's akin to seeing sausage made!

The little snow hat adds such a piquant touch to your post.

Annie at the Transplantable Rose

Unknown said...

Awww... at least it was fun while it lasted, right?

By the way, my friend send me an article today from the NY Times about a couple in NY City who are eating foods grown within a 250 mile radius, not using toilet paper (I admit, that one gets me) and vermicomposting in their apartment. I emailed her back and said that I know where she could get good directions on how to build her own vermicomposter with a link to your page... but sadly, she says she'll leave the worms to me. *grin*

lisa said...

Despite the appearence of the farm at the end, it's been a very pleasant experience for me, and I plan to get another tabletop farm this fall when garden tasks ease up. As for worms indoors-they're fun, too! But no toilet paper?! Yea...no way! If those people in NYC want to conserve, why not use magazines or newspapers for TP? My dad said they used their comic books in the outhouse when he was a kid. (No septic to worry about, though.)