Saturday, November 07, 2009

Things Are Heating Up

November up here is looking more like September with the current temps.......causing some plants to hang onto their lives-and blooms! (Like this borage, too bad my tomatoes couldn't survive this well!)They're mixing with the fall foliage that's already been established....this is spirea 'Mellow Yellow'.Of course the grasses are swaying in the breeze, showing off their flashy seed heads (this is 'Big Bluestem'). Indoors the Christmas cacti have been blooming rather early, like this red and white that my friend in Texas was kind enough to send (it's grown to 5X the original size! :)
And check out my cute little witch hazel! This tree is barely 4 feet tall, yet blooming more vigorously every year like a champ! (Always in fall, though many varieties bloom much later).And finally, my own situation is "heating up" as well...the career choice is up for re-evaluation and I'm hoping to make big changes, my garden pics are scattered half on the web and half on my laptop causing continual frustrating confusion, and until I get a better connection than dialup, my blog posts will be fairly short (but not my sentence "structure" as usual :) But for what it's worth, I'm still here and looking forward to posting more frequently and with more substantive content. What's that, Gizmo? Bentley? Alright then...let's get on with it already!

5 comments:

Monica the Garden Faerie said...

I love witch hazels, but mine are both small and young and haven't bloomed yet. Hooray on re-examining career choices! (I just wish my switch were long-term financially viable!). And hello to furry friends. I used to have a big cat and kind of miss having one. My two are both small and svelte. :)

troutbirder said...

Hang in there Lise. I always enjoyed you garden projects and tips. I think Oct and Nov switched places this year. At least at this point it looks like it. :)

lisa said...

Monica-I was really surprised at how well mine blooms with such small stature. (It's Hamamelis virginiana). Bummer how that whole "financially viable" thing interferes, eh? ;-) Heh, I don't ever recall either of these felines being any kind of small since they were kittens! Born to be bruisers, I guess :)

Troutbirder-Thank you! I keep singing "A change will do you good" (by Cheryl Crow), but some days it's more like "That's life" by Frank Sinatra! :)

Anonymous said...

Heh, "That's Life"
No sh*t. :)

I can't beleive how warm you've been! We've been having fab weather here. I feel like I woke up in a whole new State.

Beautiful blooms! I've been thinking about witch hazel a lot. I think you just convinced me. :)

My xmas cacti are blooming too - the 3 I have left. *sigh*
v.

lisa said...

I'm glad you've been enjoying some nice weather lately, too...I'd say you earned it with all that rain! I find witch hazel to be a super-cute and very nice tree, pretty much year round. I seem to remember several cultivars that were good for warm areas, some with red blooms and fragrant as well. Let me know what Christmas cactus colors you have, maybe I can fill in the blanks! :)