Thursday, May 31, 2007

Worm bin checkup (finally!).....believe it or not, I haven't looked in on my wormy friends since late March! Good thing they're such low-maintenance pets! So here's the sight when I opened the bin....it looked and felt like earth. Not just dirt, but textured, moist earth...like middle-earth, y'know, Lord of the Rings-type stuff! Cool! So I dig around for tenants, and here they are! Not huge, but not as small as what I started with, so the "fattening mix" must be working to an extent. All looked lively and not deformed or anything...goodie!
So after I dug around and inspected to my satisfaction, time to add some new layers...first, finely shredded paper from a box of something I got in the mail...
....then a layer of paper I shredded myself...
....and now for some food scraps. These were previously frozen then thawed (breaks down the cellular structure and makes it more quickly available to the worms).....continued next post....

No comments: