Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Worm Bin Inspection...hard to believe, but it's been over a month since I've checked on my wormies! So I dug around, and found healthy, reasonable-sized worms...all alert and healthy-looking. Not quite as big as I'd like, so the corn meal I added last feeding may not have been enough to really fatten them up. Most worm bin forums list a "fattening formula", so I'll try that next time I feed them. The moisture content seemed to be perfect in the bedding, and there were baby worms, too. So I checked the bottom "drainage" bin-nothing but a tiny bit of "mud", and no drowning/escaping worms! Cool! There are some tiny black gnats (either fruit flies or fungus gnats), but nothing problematic. So I decided to top off the bin with used coffee/filters that I'd been saving up. So on goes a layer of dry coffee grounds from 49 filters....



No comments: