Thursday, August 10, 2006



*****Of course, along with gardening, fishing is a vital component of my happy life...here we have my friend, Bogart, reeling in a very nice sturgeon. It was under legal keeper size, so of course we released it-but frankly I would have wanted it released no matter what. These fish are too cool to kill as far as I'm concerned...very pre-historic-looking, and probably not that tasty, anyway. (I tend to prefer panfish, perch, and walleye-bass and everything else gets set free.) I even caught a dogfish later that evening, and although Bogart said it was a "trash fish" and should be murdered, I insisted on releasing it....it can't help being ugly! I must admit, the older I get, the more I respect the lives of other creatures. Not to say that I'm against hunting though...to me, it's a necessity of proper stewardship of the environment. After all, we have crowded out so many natural predators, as well as replacing existing flora with fattening, tasty crops (for deer, especially) that population control is vital. Heck, I have been in a deer vs. auto accident 5 times in 8 years living up here...they are so plentiful I've come to regard them as "long-legged rats"! Pretty to watch, but rats just the same. Anyhow, the fishing is a great time, and this river is pretty darn clean where I'm at...so yeehah!

No comments: