Thursday, April 22, 2010

Holy Germination, Batman!

My indoor seed-starting project began on April 16th, and just two days later I already had germination!
The next two days brought even more....


...in all the trays except peppers. The first tomato to germinate indoors was 'High Carotene' ...

....and by the 20th I've begun thinning! I seem to have over-sown this row of okra with a couple different basils. So far the okra seedlings seem to have transplanted well into a bigger pot to grow all together.



In my wintersown tray outdoors I have lift-off with my SeedGrow project nasturtium 'Spitfire'...




....despite low temps below freezing at night. I'm enjoying wintersowing more and more, but for "fast action" you can't beat a heat mat and indoor lights!




"I'm growing Nasturtium "Spitfire" for the GROW project, thanks to Renee's Garden for the seeds."

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Holy germination, indeed!
Good job! Don't you just love when that happens? :)
v.

lisa said...

Thank you! I'm enjoying it immensely!! :)

Monica the Garden Faerie said...

All but two of my Spitfires dies back after cold--have never had that happen with nasties before. My winter-sown hot peppers are up, but they're tiny. We had rain the whole weekend so I kept the trays covered (big rain drops don't mix with tiny seed leaves)... I have to go out and investigate... plus my trees are leaving out so I need to move the carts on which the winter-sown containers are sitting...

lisa said...

My 'Spitfire" wilted back also, presumably from cold. The tomato died back too, but another germinated in its place. It's amazing to me that the wintersown seeds grow so slowly and stay small...it's as if they know that it's not quite "time" to get too carried away. The ones indoors are keeping me plenty busy anyway :)