Friday, April 25, 2008

First plant orders...perhaps a little early considering our temps have just come up, but I'm optimistic! Here's what I got from Breck's, and I must say that I've had really good luck ordering from them the past few years. (Plus their colorful catalogs make it hard for me to resist :) Some pretty Louisiana irises......and this 'Purple Pillow' geranium........pretty bicolor phlox 'Natasha', and another wild-colored 'Spicy Cajun' Louisiana iris (I sure hope it's as colorful as it looks in the picture)........and here they are. Bare-root, but decent sized and healthy looking.Second order is from Naylor Creek, and I cannot say enough good things about them! People, if you want to buy hostas, these are the folks to see! (Plus many other perennials, including epimedium.) This was a big order, and I placed it way back in December (heh, Merry Christmas to me!;-) . I went for mostly smalls and minis to compliment the larger varieties I already have.......I just love to have the pictures in my garden book to help me plan for their placement, plus it's fun to look at the images while waiting (keeps the excitement up)......I got a couple epimediums, too.........uh-oh! The box looks rough........but the plants look okay so far, and packed pretty well........ah yes! What a bunch of beauties! Only one epimedium has no top growth, everybody else appear to be well on their way.And because I ordered so early, I got to take advantage of their "early bird special"- free shipping, and 10% off my order which amounted to a total discount of $59.35!! Fantastic incentive, and not something I see in other hosta catalogs. I will absolutely order from them again!Time to plant them up...here's one of the Louisiana irises...kinda looks like a big prawn or something......and look at the nice hostas! Good-sized, and very bare-root (kinda naked, actually)......and what's with these "hairs" around the crown? I don't recall ever seeing this on my other hostas, but then I don't see them completely without soil, either.And check this out:two crowns! Cool! One for me, and one for my sister.... ....nice epimedium growing like crazy, this one is E. x ‘Beni Chidori’ ..... ....and another hosta with multiple crowns, three this time! This is 'Cherry Tart', and am I ever glad I ordered it when I did, because it sold out!
There! All potted up and waiting for permanent homes...I sure hope we don't get a late freeze (luckily hostas are very tough)...
....and this sunset seems to be promising good weather (please don't lie! ;-) Okay spring, keep on rollin'!


5 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow... those are some nice plants! I can't wait to see all of your hostas together. :)

Anonymous said...

Oooooooh! :)

Rurality said...

Wow that's a lot of plants! Can't wait to see them later on.

Had to laugh at the prawn comment, especially since it looks like its label says something about Spicy Cajun, LOL.

Annie in Austin said...

Don't you love it when a new plant has already multiplied before you even plant it?
All those plants should be lovely in your garden, Lisa - wonder if that 'Natasha Phlox' could live in TX? It's really pretty.

Annie at the Transplantable Rose

lisa said...

Kim-Me either! Makes my cold, slow spring all the more frustrating! :(

Vonne-RIGHT? :)

Karen-LOL!! I never even made the connection!

Annie-Naylor Creek is my new favorite mail order nursery for sure! Breck's sent nice stuff too, and I bet the phlox would do fine for you, the item description says zone 3-9. I think you really need one! ;-)