Tuesday, January 30, 2007



Garden at rest, birds at dinner...despite the freezing temps that finally arrived, I'm still a busy gardener. I'm trying very hard to exercise self-control while planning spring plant orders, and it's barely working! As the pretty illustrations of fully-grown specimens lure me in, I steel myself with memories of the labor involved in planting, as well as the reality of the actual miniscule seedling I'll have to babysit for several seasons before I get what I want. As much as I try to have Blackswamp Girl's "survival of the fittest" outlook toward my gardens, you can see by the above bush jacket that I will coddle here and there. Sometimes I'll even find myself playing Dr. Frankenstein, attempting to resurrect the dead for my own pleasure and sense of mastery...mostly just wasting time on lost causes. So while my birdy friends go about the business of survival, I'm gonna try to plan this years's garden for the "fittest only need apply"-so my efforts yield maximum results overall. If something's failing, maybe I throw it in a pot for one last chance-if it dies, oh well....opportunity to try something new!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

That picture of snow looks almost appealing. But, brrrr. Lovely shot however. I can see why the plant catalogs are so tempting; I too am fighting temptation.

Unknown said...

You're just not as much of a bitch as me... ;)

Dr. Bill Emener said...

Thanks for the snow photos... they bring back some warm and fond memories (that happens when one lives in Florida).
Stay warm,
Bill

lisa said...

Not bitch..."tough love", right Kim? ;)

Thanks Bill...I've always enjoyed visiting Florida, but I'm too much the snow lover to live there!

Sigrun said...

Lia, your photos are wonderful. We have also snow since last night, but not very much and it is still snowing.

Sigrun

lisa said...

Thanks Sigrun! Someday when I get my new camera, I hope to get accurate pics of the snow in the light of the full moon...if that's possible.