Sunday, November 12, 2006




Worm Update-the bin has been emitting a "rotting" smell for a couple days, so I opened it up to check it out. Looks like it may be too damp, I had added a layer of scraps a few days ago..a couple worms were crawling up the sides, too. According to the literature, you can mix in lime and add some bedding if there is a smell issue, so I looked around for lime. Found some food-grade, "hydrated pickling lime", and figured that would do the trick. I became concerned, though, when I read the label to say that "prolonged contact with skin may cause burns"...is this really ok for worms? Then I remembered that the same is true of the lime you buy at garden stores...so I sprinkled some over the scraps in the bin. Sure enough, the worms were writhing as if in pain [ :( ] but I mixed in the lime just the same, then covered with moistened shredded paper, moistened moss, then sprinkled coffee grounds (mostly dry) over the top. Now the only smell is "earthy", the way it's supposed to be...I just hope my wormies aren't adversely affected by that lime! Guess I'll find out in a few days...

3 comments:

Blackswamp_Girl said...

Will keep my fingers crossed for your wormies, Lisa, but I'm betting they will be just fine. :) BTW, I loved what you did with the stump, too--with all of your "crazy experiments," you are definitely a gardener after my own heart!

lisa said...

Thanks!! I did some research today about the worms and lime...I did use the wrong kind, and I will post a "body count" tonight...bummer!

cconz said...

i stumbled across your blog. i love you worm posts. i've been doing it for about 3 years now. I think everybody should do it. It's so easy. I had a post on my blog also, but, i don't think people could relate to it.