Anyway....this Schefflera is becoming kind of cumbersome as a houseplant, so I decided to do something about it. (Not to mention the poor thing hasn't been repotted in about 8 years-oops!)
Not nearly as rootbound as I expected. As you can see, I have three separate sections to work with........so let's start with the two big ones. I decided to try and weave them together to form a quasi-bonsai-looking houseplant "sculpture".......after fiddling with them for awhile, I came up with this.........held together at the trunk with some stretchy plant tape to maintain form.I felt that it would be plenty content rather pot-bound, since it grew so large all crowded before. (Plus I'd like to try and keep it manageable.)There! It still looks too large, and frankly scraggly too..........time for a little "tough love"!Presto! Hopefully the bare stubs will fill in and pretty it up, but I'm willing to sacrifice this specimen in the name of experimentation ;-)I decided to expose some higher roots and wedge a couple decorative rocks underneath........for another bonsai-ish element. Someday I'm going to try "real" bonsai again, but for now I'm content to amuse myself this way.
Our third subject will be potted up alone....
....and trimmed to sort-of represent a leaning bonsai form.